Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Settling in at Tualatin.

It has been a very hard few days.  The motorhome seems much too quiet.  Saturday morning John and I packed up the dog food and other supplies and donated it to the Paws Project at the Crossroad Animal Hospital.  They take in food and other supplies for abandoned and lost dogs.   It was hard but it felt like the right thing to do.   Everyone handles loss differently.  I sometimes write poems about family members so I decided to write about Fred.  It didn't change anything but I felt better after writing it.


Fred

You came to us battered, bruised and scared.
You'd been neglected and abused
by someone who was supposed to care. 

One look at you and we both said, 
"We'll take you home with us to live."
Then we named you Fred.

Little by little, day by day
you learned to trust.
Your fear of people went away.
Allowing us to see
A wonderful dog who was, at last, happy.

On RV journeys we did go.
You made lots of friends
A cat, some dogs, and lots of people.
Oh the places you've been are something to behold.

In life, as we all know, lots of things are beyond our control. 
You became sick.
The cancer took its toll.
Much too soon we had to say goodbye
To explain how sad we are
I can't even try.

Now you've crossed the Rainbow Bridge
And of one thing I am certain
For you there will be no more hurting. 

By:  Bridget Hill Hatch



But, as we all know, life goes on.  We met with our boss yesterday and actually worked all afternoon.  John worked with another man clearing property and I removed tree protectors.  Poor John got smacked in the face by a blackberry bush resulting in a bloody nose.  Ouch!

We were off today so we took care of household stuff and went out to get some groceries.  Funny how quickly the grocery store runs come around. 

I hope to get some pictures of the refuge to post real soon. 

Laugh everyday.  Happy trails.  Stay safe. 


4 comments:

  1. Love your poem..Writing has always been a venue I do better than "saying"...They say time heals, but I think time just passes..the healing will show itself in re-telling of the fun and wonderful stories of Fred, the dog...a life well lived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had had lots of dogs in my life but only one special dog. One that, even thirty years later, brings tears. But I have been able to love and be blessed by other dogs. I'm glad Fred had the chance to have a happy life with you. And I know that some day, another dog will need you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I told you on FB. . .but I am sad for your loss. . .

    We allowed our puppy to go live with her real Daddy (our son) when we decided to live full time in the RV. We were still working, and didn't want her to haf'ta stay cooped up in rig all day. . .I missed her. . .and still think about her. . .

    Don't know what your decision might be, but we decided to not have pets while we are RV'ing. . .I know you will make the right decision for you when that time comes.

    Look forward to see pics of the refuge. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. We know how you feel about losing Fred. We lost Dusty then Rusty and finally Pepper...That was it for us. We had to go through it 3 times and I swore that was the last time! No more

    ReplyDelete